When I saw this video I immediately thought of one of my best friends, Carol! An absolutely great cook! We swap recipes all the time. Carol makes what she refers to as “brain” which is a whole baked cauliflower… so I immediately KNEW she will love this recipe too! So I set off to translate it from it’s native Portuguese to English!
I did a bit of research as other countries, while similar, have different products than the United States. I am fairly confident the yellow spice used in the video is a curry and my choice would be sweet curry but you can use what your family will like. Requeijao is requeijao cremoso or a Brazilian Cream Cheese that you can buy on Amazon or you can make your own. See my notes below for other things you may consider substituting for this uniquely flavored soft cheese spread. I also opted to leave the oil out of the water as I didn’t see the need to add it.
Once you have your Requeijao Cremoso you can make your stuffed cauliflower:
- Salted Water
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Sliced Mozzarella cheese
- Sliced American or Cheddar cheese
- Sweet green bell pepper; cut into strips
- String cheese; cut in half
- Sweet onion; cut into thick slices and divided into sections for stuffing
- Sweet Curry
- Requeijao cremoso
- Finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Use enough water so all of the cauliflower can be immersed.
- Submerge cauliflower and cook until cauliflower is just done, don't overcook.
- Place cauliflower into an oven-safe casserole or baking dish.
- Roll slices of mozzarella into tubes and insert evenly throughout the head of cauliflower as shown.
- Repeat with the sliced yellow cheese.
- Insert green bell pepper strips evenly into the head of cauliflower.
- Repeat with string cheese pieces.
- Insert pieces of sweet onion throughout.
- Sprinkle with sweet curry or spices of your choice.
- Slather the Brazilian cream cheese all over the cauliflower, sealing in all the ingredients you previously inserted.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until just lightly browned, cheese is melted and cauliflower if heated through.
- Serve warm from the oven!
Watch as Paula Stephania makes her stuffed cauliflower on her YouTube Channel:
Paula also has a blog although try as I might I couldn’t find the recipe on it. I saw an abbreviated video on Facebook that put captions (again in Portuguese) so I used that as a reference for how she may have made the original. But it’s her recipe, and her video so I have included her original above. Please take time to visit her website, video and social media accounts.
In lieu of the brazilian cream cheese I think you could sub either whipped cream cheese or perhaps whipped ricotta if you don’t want to make or buy the specialty item.
My friend Carol, that I mentioned before actually slathers her “brain” cauliflower with mayonnaise so my bet is that you could try that too because Carol’s is delicious!
Not being versed in Portuguese I hope I got it right but I am pretty sure after researching other stuffed cauliflower recipes and having eaten Carol’s that this recipe pretty forgiving.
Try a variety of cheese slices or sticks that you like and work well together. Brands like Sargento make a wide variety to try. Not a fan of curry? Salt, pepper and paprika could work too. If you make your own adaptation I would love to hear what you decided to substitute! Leave your ideas in your comment below and enjoy!
p.s. if you are looking for some other certified low-carb delicious cauliflower recipes here’s some great Kindle books. Remember you do NOT have to own a Kindle to read and use Kindle ebooks! I don’t own one! Get their FREE app for just about any mobile device or PC with this link.
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.