...Totally LOW CARB!
I love grabbing a tub of marinated olives from Costco to have on hand for not only the olives but the delicious spiced oil they are packed in! It makes yummy low-carb dressing! But Costco is a half-hour drive. So I have learned to make my own!
- 1 cup olive oil - be sure it's authentic
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano; chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme stripped off stems
- ¾ teaspoon fresh rosemary stripped off stems and lightly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper of your choice
- ¼ pound assorted olives of your choice
- Feta cheese; cubed
- Banana Pepper Rings
- Sweet onion rings; very thinly sliced
- Warm just the olive oil to a low temperature in a skillet that will hold the first 6 ingredients.
- Add your fresh herbs and pepper and allow the flavors to infuse into the oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add olives and stir to thoroughly coat with infused oil and spices.
- Turn off heat and allow ingredients to sit in your pan until it reaches room temperature.
- Add any optional ingredients you desire after the mixture has reached room temperature.
- Allow flavors to meld for a few hours before serving.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container.
If you don't have fresh herbs in your garden you may substitute ⅓rd as much dried herbs for each. If you don't have that you can substitute 3-3/4 teaspoons of a good Italian seasoning spice blend that contains the same herbs for a similar taste.
Fresh herbs make for a really fresh, robust flavor but I understand if you don’t have them or it’s not the time of year for them when you are making the marinated olives. In that case you can substitute (note in recipe) good dried spices. The ration is 1:3 dried to fresh so you will only use 1/3 the amount of dry. Don’t have that? Rather than buy all three spices you can always substitute a good Italian blend of spices. It might not be quite the same but it will be close.
Like many of my recipes this is very “forgiving” and I love tweaking my recipes from time to time. Like garlic? You can put a small amount of finely chopped fresh garlic or a sprinkle of garlic powder to the mix. Just add the garlic towards the end of the warming time, and don’t allow it to brown.
These olives are delicious on their own, added to a fresh green or zoodle salad, or in a martini! Start out with good quality olives and ingredients and they turn out even better!
Carbs will depend on what you opt to add but regardless it’s going to be really low. The infused oil is pretty much zero carbs so feel free to use it in any of your Mediterranean salads anytime as your dressing! I like cubing up salami, pepperoni, and other meats to add to mine… but that’s a recipe for another day!
In the meantime, ciao for now!
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.