...Certified Low-Carb DELICIOUS!
Okay, so I have been a slacker! It’s not that I haven’t been working but I have been testing out new recipes in my kitchen. I am sure you have seen the pictures I posted on our Low Carb Challenge group and Facebook page as many of you have commented and messaged me!
I know, I know, I promised recipes! So with that in mind I am sitting here now to give you the first of many! Here’s that low-carb hearty vegetable soup you all drooled over last week! ENJOY!
It’s really rather easy, feeds a LOT, like a dozen hearty servings, and you can easily change it up for what you have on hand! So without further ado let’s get to it!
- Small amount of olive oil or cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 small onion; diced
- 2 cups carrots; cut into equal pieces
- 2 cups celery; cut into equal pieces
- 6 cups of beef (chicken or vegetable) stock OR water and bouillon of your choice
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small head of green cabbage; shredded
- Shredded Cheddar (Optional Topping)
- Sour Cream (Optional Topping)
- Lightly coat the bottom of a big stock pot with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Brown and crumble the ground beef with the garlic and onion.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the cabbage, cheddar and sour cream.
- Heat mixture until bubbling. Reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to cook uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes; until it starts to reduce and the vegetables are tender. Like any soup the longer the flavors have to meld the better it tastes! So cut your vegetables big enough so they don't turn to mush!
- Taste test and add additional salt and/or pepper as desired.
- Add the shredded cabbage and continue to cook for another 30+ minutes until reduced and ready.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream!
I know I mentioned it in the recipe but it bears repeating, any recipe that is comprised of ingredients (like the tomato products in this one) you purchase ready made will fluctuate in carbs. Be careful and cognizant of that and select each item with the lowest possible carb count. I used canned items that my husband bought (he is good about checking carbs but didn’t even think of it when it came to tomato sauce etc) right off the grocery store shelf and was still able to get this down to only 7 net carbs per hearty serving!
Of course you can mix it up depending on what you have on hand. Want a spicier soup? Add some chorizo! My hubby put some hot sauce on one of his bowls! We ate it for 3 days and he still had enough left for a lunch! Each time I reheated it I did add some extra stock to it to thin it back out some as like any soup it had a tendency to thicken when refrigerated. We ate, and ate and ATE! LOL! It was fine, we loved it and hope you do too!
In the meantime ciao for now!
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.