What’s better than sliced bread? That’s a really pertinent and important question when it comes to living a low carb lifestyle! Since most breads and flours are out of the question because of their high carb count how can you make yourself an ooey-gooey delicious low carb sandwich?
With this low carb sandwich bread recipe is how! Thanks to Christina Ross for sharing her lunch with us on The Low Carb Challenge Facebook group last week! My hubby and I both give it a big thumbs up! We decided to forego the tomato Christina added to hers to fully evaluate the bread alone and lower our carb count but it would certainly be yummy!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 1-1/2 TBSP butter - melted
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Your choice of cheese
- Toppings (optional) i.e, pre-cooked bacon, tomato slices, etc.
- Softened butter for spreading on bread when grilling sandwich
- Thoroughly whisk together the eggs and water.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a microwavable container (I used a 4" x 6" plastic deli dish)
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and immediately turn out of container.
- When cool enough to handle use a large serrated bread knife and split the thickness of the bread into two equal parts. Cut each half in two so you now have four pieces of bread, or enough for two sandwiches.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with softened (not melted) butter.
- Put butter side down into a skillet or griddle sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Add cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Add 2nd piece of bread to top, butter side out.
- Cover with lid and cook on med-high until bottom is golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches over and brown second side.
- Remove from pan and serve.
Add however many carbs your cheese of choice contributes and any other toppings you decide to have.
This bread is good for not only grilled cheese but ham and cheese, peanut butter and sugar-free jelly, chicken or tuna salad or any lunch meat sandwich you’d like. It’s not as eggy tasting as some others and a good use for that big bag of coconut flour just sitting in your cupboard! Heck we are toasting some tomorrow to dip in our egg yolks! I like making mine using a bread-shaped plastic container like the one pictured here! Makes it look as good as it tastes!
Not into making your own bread? This really is very super simple to make FAST in your microwave but I can understand if you just don’t have the time or inclination to start from scratch. In that case I really recommend this ThinSlim Love the Taste low-carb bread! I have tried a few different brands and my family thinks that this one is the closest to regular bread both in taste and texture. Read my FULL review. Want to take it up a notch? Make your grilled cheese with the panini press below with your ThinSlim bread and no one will even consider that it’s low carb! Slather it with butter, use some amazing cheese and you are suddenly a gourmet!
While I have been using a plain old frying pan to make my low-carb grilled cheese sandwiches this great panini press just caught my eye! I can just envision adding some shaved ham with my cheese and grilling it to absolute perfection! Can’t you??? It’s so inexpensive that I don’t think I can resist! Reviews and questions answered on Amazon say that people use it for grilled cheese all the time AND that it’s a snap to clean up! I guess that’s why it gets 4 out of 5 stars from everyone that has purchased one!
So how would YOU use this versatile bread and what extras make YOUR grilled cheese sandwiches memorable??? I love hearing from you! Please let us know in your comment below!
In the meantime, ciao for now and see you soon!
p.s. if you are looking for even more low-carb sandwich ideas be sure to check out these great books:
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.