It’s a wet, cold and rainy day and soup just sounds so good! Soup, and a grilled cheese sandwich! That sandwich is so ooey gooey delicious I cannot settle for just any cream of tomato soup so I decided to make it from “scratch.” Want some too?
- 2 TBSP butter
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic; minced
- 1 14-oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 335°F.
- Melt butter in the bottom of a 3 to 4 quart oven-safe soup pot.
- Saute onion and garlic until tender but not browned.
- Carefully add both cans of tomatoes, with juices, to the pot.
- Add chicken broth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully puree with a stick blender in your pot until smooth.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream.
- Add dried basil and adjust salt and/or pepper as necessary.
- Allow soup to return to just simmering.
- Pop into oven and allow flavors to blend and soup to thicken for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until you are ready to eat, adjusting temperature down when at the desired thickness.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
This soup is super easy to make! If you want to hurry it up you can continue to cook it on the stovetop but I really prefer the slow-cooked goodness I achieve by just popping it in the oven. It seems to help bring out the ambience of the garlic and besides it’s much less apt to stick or burn! In the meantime you can throw together my Ooey Gooey Grilled Cheese goodness!
Now all that is left is to enjoy being snug and warm in the house, safe from the weather! I like to flip the switch on our gas fireplace and snuggle up with my hubby to enjoy this easy to make but flavorful treat! We like ours topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese but it’s good with or without, whichever you prefer. I hope you enjoy!
p.s. Looking for more certified low-carb delicious soups? You’ll find more HERE.
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.