Did you cheat over the holidays? Yes, me too, we all do. It’s what you do now that determines if you will win or lose your overall weight loss battle. One way that many jumpstart themselves into losing weight (and into ketosis) quickly is by doing an egg fast for a week. What’s an egg fast you ask?
But before we get started I want you to be abundantly clear that I am not a medical professional or nutritionist. Whether or not you do an egg fast hast to be your decision and you need to consult your own professionals if you feel it necessary. If you do decide to join us in our egg fast be sure to listen to your body and if you do not feel stop immediately.
That said an egg fast is not an extreme measure and it is just restricting your diet to eggs, cheese and butter or other pure and healthy fats like MCT, olive or coconut oil, NOT bacon fat.
EGG FAST “RULES”
- Try to consume your first egg meal within 3 hours of waking and no later than 3 hours before retiring each night.
- Do not go more than 4 hours between snacks or meals.
- Eggs are your primary source of protein (no meat or vegetables during your fast) and eat a minimum of 6 eggs per day.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of good fats per egg.
- Restrict real cheeses (cream cheese, cheddar, string, swiss, brie, etc.) to 4 to 6 (1 ounce per egg consumed daily) ounces per day eaten with your eggs or separately as a snack.
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces of water per day with a minimum of 100 ounces if at all possible.
- Fast for 5 days and on day 6 and 7 add your normal low-carb foods. You can return to your egg fast on day 8 if desired for continued weight loss. The longer you do this egg fast the more weight you will lose. However, when you return to eating regular low-carb foods take your time and slowly add other foods and you should not gain back the majority of what you lost.
As we are all low carber you may decide that you would prefer to have a bulletproof coffee or tea in lieu of the first eggs of the day. That is fine. Try not to use the heavy whipping cream if you can, adding more butter instead. You will be surprised how light the butter and coconut oil will make your beverage and I don’t think you will miss the cream.
Another item that many egg fasts allow, and I love, is egg-drop soup. We will include egg-fast recipes in our roundup as it’s a welcome departure from strictly egg dishes that you will like especially if you continue with your fast for any length of time.
Herbs, spices, hot sauce, and zero-carb sweeteners are allowed – as long as they are less than 1g net carbs per serving, not to exceed a total of 5 net carbs per day. You will find that you can make more than scrambled eggs… cream cheese waffles or cheese frittatas for instance… and check out our egg-fast recipe roundup for all sorts of other ideas!
Are you ready to get started? I hope so! Join us on our Low Carb Challenge Facebook group for lots of help and support now and every day of the year, egg fast or not!
In the meantime, good luck on losing all your holiday weight!
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.