What’s better on a hot and sultry summer day than a delicious (and easy) cucumber-tomato salad? I went digging through my old family recipe box and found this one I thought I’d share with you!
Now that you’ve got your cucumber all sliced here’s how I make this tasty salad:
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1 small sweet or red onion sliced and rings pulled apart
- 1 medium to large tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the cucumber slices, chopped tomato and the onion slices in a medium sized bowl
- Sprinkle salt and the pepper over the veggies and toss to coat evenly
- Pour in the water and the vinegar and mix
- Store in an airtight container overnight in the fridge
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon to serve.
- Store leftovers in your airtight container in the vinegar mixture. Your salad will keep in the fridge for several days.
Want to cut back on carbs even more? PEEL the cucumbers! Yes! Just peel them! Can you believe that almost half the carbs are in the skin???
This is a super easy salad to throw together salad for just Michael and I to have with something simple thrown on the grill in the summer or with a backyard full of guests when we entertain for summer pool parties. It’s refreshing and holds up well in the heat. Refrigerates leftovers hold most of a week but they never last that long before they are all gone!
Think to change it up with the summer squashes mentioned in the recipe or add other fresh veggies you might have in the house. I like adding some sweet peppers but others like ones with a bit of a little “kick” tossed in too! The heat pairs well with the vinegar dressing! If you’re not into that you can always sprinkle a few red pepper flakes on top when serving! OR crumbled feta! Crumbled feta with Mediterranean herbs that’s in my fridge right now! SEE? The only limit is your imagination when it comes to this easy to modify simple side dish!
What might you add to this low-carb delight? I love hearing from you so please leave your suggestions in your comment below or on our Facebook group wall where thousands of members contribute daily!
As always if you found this useful or helpful please give it a thumbs up and share it with your friends! Your support helps this site stay open! Ciao for now!
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.