We were invited to the first of the season’s parties this past weekend and was looking to take something to add to the snack buffet that would go with the wine, beer and spirits being consumed that was also, of course, low carb.
I know they all love my nuts because when I make my Cinnamon “Sugared” Nuts they all but fly off the table! Wanting to make something with a bit more “heat” I developed this recipe for what I referred to as a sweet and spicy blend:
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 to 3 tbsp hot sauce ( vary depending on your preference for spiciness and remember Tabasco is hotter than Franks!)
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 3 TBSP Splenda
- 4 cups mixed raw nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, peanuts)
- Sprinkling of coarse ground kosher or sea salt
- 1 TBSP Splenda (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Add nuts and mix thoroughly
- Spread in a single layer on a non-stick cookie sheet and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt and ½ TBSP Splenda
- Bake 5 minutes, stir, spread back into single layer, sprinkle with remaining Splenda and a small amount of salt and return to oven. Bake 7 minutes more, or until all liquid ingredients are dried onto the nuts, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool on pan and serve.
This is a very “forgiving” recipe as you can easily adjust the amount of heat you want by tweaking the amounts of hot sauce and peppers. You can also make it smokier by using chipotle instead of cayenne or just use cayenne. It’s all up to you. Everyone at the party loved how it turned out!
If you tweak the recipe I would love to hear what you do with your comment below or sharing it to our Low Carb Challenge group on Facebook! In the meantime, ciao for now!
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.