A recipe by LowCarb-ology caught my attention last week. Bacon and cauliflower hash… they had me at bacon and cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable I just knew my family would love it once I adapted it to what I had in the house and made it just a tad easier for me to throw it together…
- 6 to 8 slices of Bacon
- ½ head of Cauliflower
- 1 large shallot diced
- 4 to 5 mini red, yellow or orange sweet peppers, diced
- 1 to 2 celery rib, diced
- 4 to 5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP parsley flakes
- 1 handful of Cheddar Cheese(s)
- Microwave bacon until crisp on ridged bacon plate
- Drain cooked bacon on paper towels.
- Pour bacon grease into large skillet or wok.
- Sautee cauliflower until it starts to soften.
- Add remaining vegetables, cooking until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon and add to pan.
- Sprinkle parsley flakes over mixture.
- Add one handful of cheddar cheese and toss with veggies to lightly coat veggies.
- Serve warm.
I used shallots to lessen carbs but you can easily use green or sweet onion.
You can also garnish with chives, fresh or dried.
Adapted from a lowcarb-ology.com recipe referenced above.
You can, of course, just fry the bacon in your pan, pulling it out and leaving the grease for sauteing your veggies. I just think it’s easier to microwave it first and I love using a microwave baking plate like this one that has a cutout for easily draining the grease. You would not want to use the method where you cook it on paper towels because you want to retain all the grease available.
I used what I had on hand and the veggies my family loves. What combination would you choose? We’re always open for new ideas! Please let us all know in your comment below! In the meantime, ciao for now!
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.