The UK’s Academy of Medical Royal Colleges just released what many might think is considered a shocking report! It seems that they finally figured out what the average woman has long know; that while regular exercise is great for reducing health risks it doesn’t help with weight loss.
“Regular physical activity reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and some cancers by at least 30%. However, physical activity does not promote weight loss.”
Some of the more eye opening discoveries I found within the report:
- Poor diet now generates more disease than physical inactivity, alcohol and smoking combined.
- There are growing concerns that insulin resistant athletes may be at risk of developing type 2 diabetes if they continue to eat very high-carbohydrate diets for decades since such diets worsen insulin resistance.
What I, and you as my reader, should not have found shocking or a “discovery” is the fact that
- People should ditch their sugar laden, high-carb diets because they are the real heart of the obesity epidemic.
- The public health ads surrounding diet and exercise has been corrupted by celebrity endorsements of sugary drinks, and the association of junk food and sports.
- The nonsensical notion regarding the twin rationales for carbohydrate loading are that the body has a limited capacity to store carbohydrates and these are essential for more intense exercise.
- Adaptation to a high-fat low-carbohydrate diet induces very high rates of fat oxidation during exercise that is more than sufficient for most exercisers in most forms of exercise — and this is the important part, without the need for added carbohydrates!
People need to realize that the Center for Disease Control food pyramid has been completely upside down for a generation! It needs to be corrected and reversed! This report just puts in print everything we have been trying to tell people all along. Read the full report to see just how correct your thinking has been.
Healthy living must become an easy choice to reverse what a generation of misconception has wrought. Many feel that changing the food environment — so that individuals’ choices about what to eat can naturally default to healthy options—will have a far greater impact on people’s health than counselling or education. That means making more low-carbohydrate foods available at a much lower cost to the consumer. Something I know would be met with loud rounds of cheering by you and all the members of our Low Carb Challenge group!
So the next time your friends question your low-carb lifestyle direct them HERE! It’s only a matter of time before American doctors follow suit or risk looking pretty darned silly! They have reversed themselves before (on eggs, cholesterol, etc) and they’ll be eating crow again. Of course they will never admit it, just you can give a knowing wink when they do!
If you found this article helpful or interesting please subscribe using the box in the upper left hand sidebar and share it with your friends. In the meantime, that’s all the skinny!
Ciao for now!
*articles may contain affiliate links to help feed my blogging habit and family*
Always consult your healthcare professional if you are currently taking medication, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, nursing, or if you have any other health condition before taking any products mentioned or applying any information contained herein.